- 40 area lakes provide amazing views of a variety of birds, wildlife, and terrain
- Bird watching—Becker Lake, Canero Lake, Luna Lake, Nelson Reservoir, Mexican Hay Lake, and Greer Lakes are especially good
- Wilderness Areas—Mount Baldy, Escudilla and Bear Wallow Wilderness, and the Blue Primitive Area plus Sipe Wildlife Area, Becker Wildlife Walk, and Grasslands Wildlife Area
- Mushrooms, wild grape, berry, and piñon gathering.
- Stargazing—no city lights!
- Elk bugling
- Fall foliage tours
- USFS Interpretive Tours and Presentations
- Big Lake Nature Trail
- Butler Canyon Nature Trail
- Squirrel Springs Recreation Area, Greer
- Downhill skiing, snow boarding, tubing, and cross-country skiing in winter at Sunrise Ski Resort
- Summer activities at Sunrise Ski Park, including zipline and mountain biking.
Lyman Lake is the one area where power boats are permitted. All other lakes are restricted to small motors or electric motors only.
- Water skiing; public slalom course at Lyman
- Paddle boats; rentals at several locations
- Wind surfing
- Jet skiing
- Swimming at Lyman Lake
- Fishing at all lakes
- Sailing at Lyman and Sunrise Lakes
OHV Trails—Saffel Canyon
Saffel Canyon OHV Trail includes some of the most-spectacular views in the White Mountains of Arizona. The trail begins at an elevation of 7,600 feet at Saffel Canyon and climbs to 9,400 feet at Pat Knoll. The trail winds through three distinct vegetation zones: piñon-juniper, ponderosa pine, and mixed conifer.
Trail access is 1 mile south of Eagar. From the Eagar stoplight, travel south on Main Street to Schoolbus Road (road takes a 90 degree turn to the west); turn left (south) on Water Canyon Road (FR 285); and follow for 1.8 miles. Turn left (east) on FR 74 for .9 miles; turn right (south) on FR 74D. The trailhead is on the right.
Maps available at the Chamber Office (418 E. Main in Springerville) and at forest service locations in Springerville and Alpine.
The Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest and the White Mountain Apache Reservation offer many beautiful individual and group sites within 10-30 minutes drive of the communities.
Interactive Online Fishing Map: http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/New-interactive-online-fishing- map-launched.shtml
Summer trout stocking schedule & fishing locations: //gis.azgfd.gov/fishandboat
Summary Wallow Fire-White Mountains Fishing
Wallow Fire Impacts on Specific Trout Populations
Region 1 Stocking Schedule
The area is long famed for its hunting, and notables such as Zane Grey, Teddy Roosevelt who loved to hunt here. The area permits bow, black powder, and rifle hunting, and guides and outfitters are available.
Contact the Arizona Game & Fish Department for hunting seasons and permit information.